THE NEWS IN PROPORTION
22 October 2017
Media : Media opinions
ENDLESS STRIFE
Awakening the somnolent state
The common thread between our external and internal security predicaments is our approach to time. Most security issues are long-standing and seemingly interminable. If we understood why this is so, we can change it, writes Firdaus Ahmed.
Firdaus Ahmed OP-ED Economic Issues Government opinions Health Laws and Governance RTI Law and Policy Urban Poor Creative Land ORGs Exposes RTI opinions Society Films and Books Business Women opinions Women's Representation HARYANA HIMACHAL Politics Health Interviews People Agriculture opinions Literacy Tourism Profiles Environment opinions Subcontinental Musings

MEDIA/OPINION
A managed media Editors and columnists are flattered into believing that because of their proximity to power, they somehow enjoy and exercise power, too. Ramachandra Guha finds the seductions of power starkly apparent in the media's coverage of Pramod Mahajan's passing.
OP-ED Ramachandra Guha A historian's view
The great Indian laughter challenge If you decide that 75 per cent of the country does not make news, you're shrinking your potential zone of coverage. And if you decree that only a small section of the other 25 per cent does, you've painted yourself into a corner. P Sainath finds the deluge of trivia in the media decidedly not funny.
OP-ED P Sainath The Real Picture
Overflowing with the official view In response to the devastating floods in Gujarat, state officials were quick to point fingers at activists who have long opposed raising the height of the Sardar Sarovar dam on the Narmada. And even though their claims were clearly off-track, at least one publication thought it fit to repeat them. Himanshu Upadhyaya reports.
Media
Political expediency in journalism The media is partisan and the government corrupt. In this environment, the committed reporter has no choice but to go out and investigate with a hidden camera. But such sting operations are not a substitute for investigative reporting; as a result even serious revelations are quickly forgotten, says Arun Sadhu.
Media
India Together offers an excellent forum for people from diverse fields of expertise to present their views, share their experiences and raise questions about where our country and society are headed in the future.
Amitabha Basu
  • Retired Scientist
  • National Physical
  • Laboratory
  • India Together reader